Friday 25 January 2013

The Crowd at the Starting Line.

Coursera DID send the links and suggestions a month or more ago, but I left it all to the last minute. This evening I checked into the facebook group, and searched for twitter posts with the edcmooc hash tag. Now I feel overwhelmed. This is a BIG event. This is the London Marathon of learning.There are hundreds...or thousands? of celebral athletes massing at the starting line. One thing is for sure, I am not in the elite runners section! My digital fitness is hovering at litttle more than analogue level.
With all the dismay of an athlete whose trusted trainers have split, I have discovered that my laptop has digital conjunctivitis.otherwise known as sticky " i ". So the chances of typing errors abound!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jane!
    What a precise metaphor you've found comparing our learning here, at this digital course, to the marathon. I especially like your phrase "digital fitness" :)
    What qualities do you think we'll need to get to the finish line?

    p.s. With such a great number of non-native speakers of English, your eventual slips/ mistakes are likely to remain unnoticed by the majority. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tatiana, and sorry for the delay in replying.
      I see digital fitness as ablity to use the tools.
      To get to the finish line I think a mixture of time, sheer determination and a measure of good luck, will be needed. It feels like a race because of the timescale, and I would rather enjoy the route without the pressure of having to get to the end so soon!
      I am also wondering if the marathon metaphor has significance beyond the participation in this MOOC, perhaps it could represent technology itself, with the sinister twist that someone keeps moving the finish line?

      Delete