Friday 15 February 2013

Broken Bones and a Ripped 'Red Bag'

 As I am trying to use more 'digital tools, I searched soundcloud for an appropriate sound effect, to introduce this post, to no avail. I found a film industry source-  one on that required payment, but I don't have a film maker's budget to study this MOOC. So I shall resort to crediting anyone reading this, with an imagination, and trust that will not be considered too old fashioned :

Puff  Pant Puff Pa nt WHeeeeeze  Pfffff Pant Pant wheeze

 I am, I fear, along way behind in the MOOC Marathon., and am still reflecting on Week 2.
I did however have to divert to the first aid post,and onward to hospital, to assist a race onlooker, namely, my elderly parent. Having sustained a broken arm, she will need me to regularly divert to follow the scenic route for the remainder of the course. As if that were not enough. I have been forced to spend  almost a week as a digital  bystander following a family broadband bereavement. This was a 'torn red bag ' situation that sellotape would not resolve.
The long wait for the next generation wi-fi box to be sent from BT, served only to highlight my existing concerns about access to internet in rural areas. No 'internet cafe' to go to, and a public library with opening hours reduced to less than 2 days a week! It all seems a long way from the vision of the techno future as depicted in week two films.
 I am only going to mention one. A Day Made of Glass. It is a Utopian vision from the perspective of  those who produced it, and I know many people reviewing it were excited about the possibilities portrayed for education, but I found it disturbing, and certainly FAR too clean . Even in Orwellian style dystopias there are characters who are aware that they are being deprived of something !
Of course it is only an advert for glass, but the marketing strategy here is as transparent as the glass! High tech education is going to be expensive, so aim the products at a market that can afford it !
This is doubly disturbing. Not only will  social inequalities widen, but the advantaged, will as now, end up in positions of authority. The prospect of a world run by those given such a sterile, artificial education, is very scary.
I did find it interesting to note the cultural perspectives in all the comments, particularly with regard to school uniforms, which were used in the film to denote elite status. If Corning intended this advert for a global  market then it seems arrogant to have projected this particular stereotype.

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I extend my sympathy towards your experience of technological hurdles, constraints of the hardware and connectivities make the real world so unlike the stereotypical perfect family displayed in the Day of Glass . I can also identify with the constraints of time. There are areas of the course that I would like to dwell in the week by week change is making the course very rapid to keep up with the ideas and readings.
    I have yet to see your digital artefact. I will try on another computer as my ipad could not open it and I am away from home at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martell.
      There is no artifact to see yet, I am still thinking about it.
      The splash of colour in my post was not a link. I lack digital fitness...thus the puffing and panting!!

      Delete